The Zignoni square was the ancient marketplace of San Giovanni Bianco it is dedicated to Vistallo Zignoni, the character depicted in the statue in the centre of the square. Vistallo Zignoni was a soldier and mercenary, who lived between XV and XVI century, thanks to whom there is a holy thorn: a thorn that, according to the tradition, was part of Jesus Christ’s crown, stolen from the troops of the King of France during the Fornovo battle in 1495.
Across the square, there is a parish church dedicated to the evangelist Saint John. The present church is in neoclassic style and it is a result of the mid-19th-century remake of an old church in gothic style with two aisles, which was partly demolished in order to make space for the new one. Two canvas by Carlo Ceresa are preserved in the sacristy of the church.